Saturday, February 16, 2013

Salty and Bright

Like most humans, I do my best pondering in the shower.  I don't know if it's the hot water and steam, or the amazing smell of my shampoo, but when I step in and close the curtain my head is cleared and I am just able to think and wonder at all God has done and all He has planned for His creation.  Yesterday was no exception.

As I was going about my daily routine, the scripture of Psalm 34:8 popped into my head: "Taste and see that the Lord is good", then the scripture of Matthew 5:13-16 came to mind as well.  This scripture is from The Sermon on the Mount, and at this particular point Jesus was telling his followers about being the salt and light of the world.  I just kept ping-ponging (pretty sure I just invented a new verb there) back and forth between the two.  It went something like this:

Taste and see...
Salt and light...
Taste and see...
Salt and light...
Taste and see...
Salt and light...
BINGO! (insert light bulb here)

Salt adds flavor, a bit of depth to a dish.  It enhances the taste.  Light provides illumination to us, it allows us to see.  How can the world taste and see that the Lord is good, unless we provide some salt and light?  I believe that people not only experience God through personal relationship with him, made possible through the sacrifice of Jesus, but also through us.  His chosen people, who have received the gift of the Holy Spirit.  I think this is why we are called to be salt and light, so that others can taste and see that the Lord is good. Matthew 5:16 explains clearly why we are to be the salt and light, so that others may see what we do and praise our Father in Heaven.  So that they can taste and see.

I'm not a scholar, I haven't exhaustively studied scripture.  I'm just a believer who loves God more than I ever have in my life.  I may be way off base on this, but I don't think I am.

May your days be salty and bright!


No comments:

Post a Comment