Sunday, November 13, 2011

Big Girls Don't Cry

Warning:  I am about to ruin your day.



I have noticed something happening with women my age that really confuses me.  Over the last week I have heard at least 5 different women talk about how they hate crying.  Well, it doesn't really confuse me...I understand why.  I used to feel that way too.  I didn't want anyone to see me cry, least of all my family.  It was easy to control before I hit puberty, but once that happened all hell broke loose.  I devised a plan where if I needed to cry, I would hold it in and then go take a shower and cry in the shower.  I know...that was messed up.  And I'm pretty sure I wasn't fooling anyone, I mean, every time I watched Titanic I took a shower.  Surely someone connected the dots.  So ladies, I totally relate to not wanting to cry.

I think though, it is the feeling of vulnerability that we hate, not the act of crying itself.  We are told by society that we need to "toughen up" or "never let them see you sweat".  Or perhaps it's that "Ugh...I can't believe I let him/her/them/that get to me!", that feeling of letting someone in so deep that a negative action on their part can evoke that response in us.  But you know what, it's ok.  It means that you really, truly cared about something or someone passionately.  That is a good thing, as a matter of fact, it's the best thing.  And furthermore ladies, we were created to be compassionate, relational, emotional creatures.  When we allow ourselves to journey to that vulnerable place we are embracing our true, beautiful nature.  Not to mention the act of crying is very therapeutic and good for relieving stress.

So ladies, I say let it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment